Skip to main content

2 States - Oh please, no!

I don't know why I chose to read '2 States' over 'The Subtle Knife'. My copy of 'Subtle Knife' is sleeping in the shelf. I wish I had finished it off
instead of reading this one.
M' Okay let me tell why this book was so insipid, [beware of spoilers hehe!]

Possible reasons why I picked up this book:
1. Thought it would be a light-read.
2. It involved IIM A
3. Curiosity to know the speciality of Tamil girls
4. Heard it is a slapstick comedy [ which is not, in any way]

Top reasons why I disliked it:
1. Cliched plot with stale scenes. [Ithellam nanga 'Poovellam Kettupar' la ye pathutomm, Chetan!!]
2. Making fun of South-Indians went overboard. [where Punjabis were never hurt in any dialogues, a very feeble mocking was clear]
3. Nothing less than a Bollywood drama, too filmy!
4. Totally predictable.
5. Ananya herself [there're are a multitude of reasons to hate her, which I won't enumerate here]
6. The feeling of reading his personal diary creeps in every so often which is so embarrassing.
and the list goes on...

The only good thing about this book is the synopsis. Here it goes...

Love marriages around the world are simple:
Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy.
They get married.

In India, there are a few more steps:
Boy loves Girl. Girl loves Boy.
Girl's family has to love boy. Boy's family has to love girl.
Girl's Family has to love Boy's Family. Boy's family has to love girl's family.
Girl and Boy still love each other. They get married


This is 99% true. Even today our Professor told about being Indian at heart eventhough we follow certain Western principles. How true! Indians posses the richest culture. *Salute*. Love not only involves just 'you' & 'him', there exist certain things which are more important than living together. Love fades if external factors are not supportive.

And please don't jump into conclusions about the book reading this post. Because I might be dumb enough to dislike the whole thing. I'm told that I have got an absurd choice. If you desire to have a go at it...please do it!!

Comments

  1. mail chetan...let him know this than others...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ramya,

    Your personal opinion on love marriages just made me overshadow your comments about 2 states.
    Really overwhelmed... I have the same perception about Love marriages...when it is Love it is about two hearts, but when it is Marriage it is about two families..."Love fades if external factors are not supportive".Truly!
    Better not to be locked in love!!!
    This opinion is purely personal, no issues whatsoever...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Deena its nice that I second your thoughts. :) But you know... not to fall in love would be insane. Yes, Deena so I too think love with license[i.e our parents' choice]would be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 states.... I think parent's apprehensions are justified in the long run in case of inter caste or inter state marriages... coz marriage requires quite a lot of time compromises adjustments... which a person is mentally prepared for in case of an arranged marriage... the onus of its success is on parents... there is no " I told you so" in case there is a problem...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...... Great critic it seems...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Shika

    Of course, Shikha! 'I told you so' attitude sickens anyone.

    @Anonymous

    Criticism was not my objective but I couldn't help it if it shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ramya,

    Your opinion about the topic might be true up to certain extent because u can't feel the same when u love after your marriage. Being fallen in love before marriage helps in building your personality a much lot more than you expect to be. Personality in my prespective is you seems to be more comfortable happy and believe a lot in your own decisins.

    I haven't yet read 2 states but its in my rack. The same writter's other books is at its best. Keeping this in mind i am starting this book. After completing this i will definately tell you the experience of this book...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chetan's books are indeed filmy ya..It is more like a bollywood movie with masala streaks of the writers story coming out and one bigcauldron of emotions..Two states is one bk tat i want to read coz of the hype around it..U gotto gimme tat bk for a read..The synopsis is really relevant..And wel lemme read it b4 criticizing it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Suds
    Feel free to read and criticize!

    @ Shiva Prasad
    Well said. But being in love regardless of marriage is what matters everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Suds
    Feel free to read and criticize!

    @ Shiva Prasad
    Well said. But being in love regardless of marriage is what matters everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sabash! Sariyana potee(competition).

    Summa pinringa ponga.. i like ur way of open talk.
    ada naan kooda, andha book'a padichitu adhanga ninaichaen. then, adhae book'a en rajasthan friend'u oruthan padichitu, kathai supera irukunu vangi vachukittan.

    ellarum orae madhiri yosikavum mudiyadhu, orae vasiyatha pathiyum yosika mudiyadhu..

    naan karpanainu ninaichaen, avan kadhal'nu solran. naan vaenamnu koduthadha, ellarum padichu kaamichu, kanavu kaanran..

    What to do.. its all in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Word up .. Chetan over-killed his thoughts about South Indians and a cliched story too ... But Ananya's character was kinda interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Opinion :)

    If yo cud delete all cookies and cliche in your brain ( tamilian, culture, etc ) and can travel along with the author, it's a wonderful book to read :)

    but if I have em, I need to buy something from thirunelveli and first use it on ananya and then chetan :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple, yet poignant lyrics (II)

I've got a knack of discovering pleasant songs, excellent movies, endearing books very late in time, sometimes even after it's fad fades away. One such song is Perunthil nee enaku... The beauty of this song is that it relates to some very simple, unnoticed but pleasing moments in a our day to day life. The duet is of two people who sing about  what they mean to each other. There are some cute imperfections in Madhushri's tamil pronunciation but the male singer makes up for all that. Duh! Why do I even have to annotate the lyrics? It speaks for itself. ;) Perunthil nee enaku jannal oram Pin vasal mutrathil ne tulasi madam Vidumurai natkalil pallikoodam Vilayattu pillaigalin chella kobam Aalilla nalliravil ketkum padal Anbe anbe neeye (hmmm....) Payanathil varugira siru thookam Paruvathil mulaikira muthal koocham Paritchaiku padikira athikalai Kazhuthinil vizhundhidum mudhal maalai Pughaipadam edukkayil thinarum punnagai Anbe anbe neethane Adai

Quote Wonderment (I)

I'm totally sick of examinations and stuff. World's worst stressors are exams. I've always had this opinion right from my childhood. Hmmm... So to get a break I was running through my old memories and thoughts. One such is the admiration for this quote, "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are." --Markus Zusak The quote itself is amazing. Reminds me of so many things. And note that Markus Zusak's wonderful book called 'The Book Thief' which was a good read. Laziness blocks me from writing more. ;)