Skip to main content

UID Card from 'The Unique Identification Authority of India'

What is the future of Unique Identification in India?
The nation is envisioning the effectuation of the Multipurpose National Identity Card or Unique Identification card (UID Card) project by 2011. The card will possess a unique identification number which each Indian citizen will carry as  a permanent identifier from birth to death that also contains biometric data and photographs.  The permanent identifier which will also cover children, will help in at establishing citizenship, reducing identity related frauds, addresses security issues and prevent leakages in different government schemes.
However, other reports claim that obtaining a unique number would be voluntary, but those that opt to stay out of the system "will find it very inconvenient: they will not have access to facilities that require you to cite your ID number".
As the unique identity database comes into existence, the usual  identity databases including passports, ration cards, licenses, fishing permits, border area id cards that already exist in India are supposed to be connected to it. The ambitious plan of unique identification has been allocated Rs 100 crore in the interim budget of 2009-10.[Courtesy: Wikipedia and a few other sites]
The plan seems to be accomplishable. But the data has to  be accurate and the details should be updated on a regular basis. Updation is an issue. I applied for Voter's ID two years back when I was 19 and I'm yet to receive it. I was keen on voting in this Lokh Sabha election but was not given a chance. Even my grandparents names where not on the list to vote. May be these were all petty denials.  
Talking about uniqueness, I had a vague idea on my mind about the future of Biometric identification. When I first watched the movie 'Minority Report' I thought 'this is it'. Iris & Retinal recognition . But in the later part of the movie Tom Cruise undergoes an eye transplant in order to change his identity. Oh, man!.  Still there're other limitations in this technique.
Later I heard about 3-D infrared facial recognition system. It's supposed to be a more sophisticated and promising approach. I read an article about it. It's a tedious thing to explain. But I can guess for myself. It'll be about the geometric measurements and texture analysis of the facial parts.
Anyway let the future of Unique Identification yield greater security and prevent identity scams for a better India. Since the agency UIDAI is going to create new jobs and business oppurtunities it'll be received most gladly.
By the way Happy Independence Day:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple, yet poignant lyrics (II)

I've got a knack of discovering pleasant songs, excellent movies, endearing books very late in time, sometimes even after it's fad fades away. One such song is Perunthil nee enaku... The beauty of this song is that it relates to some very simple, unnoticed but pleasing moments in a our day to day life. The duet is of two people who sing about  what they mean to each other. There are some cute imperfections in Madhushri's tamil pronunciation but the male singer makes up for all that. Duh! Why do I even have to annotate the lyrics? It speaks for itself. ;) Perunthil nee enaku jannal oram Pin vasal mutrathil ne tulasi madam Vidumurai natkalil pallikoodam Vilayattu pillaigalin chella kobam Aalilla nalliravil ketkum padal Anbe anbe neeye (hmmm....) Payanathil varugira siru thookam Paruvathil mulaikira muthal koocham Paritchaiku padikira athikalai Kazhuthinil vizhundhidum mudhal maalai Pughaipadam edukkayil thinarum punnagai Anbe anbe neethane Adai

Quote Wonderment (I)

I'm totally sick of examinations and stuff. World's worst stressors are exams. I've always had this opinion right from my childhood. Hmmm... So to get a break I was running through my old memories and thoughts. One such is the admiration for this quote, "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are." --Markus Zusak The quote itself is amazing. Reminds me of so many things. And note that Markus Zusak's wonderful book called 'The Book Thief' which was a good read. Laziness blocks me from writing more. ;)

2 States - Oh please, no!

I don't know why I chose to read '2 States' over 'The Subtle Knife'. My copy of 'Subtle Knife' is sleeping in the shelf. I wish I had finished it off instead of reading this one. M' Okay let me tell why this book was so insipid, [beware of spoilers hehe!] Possible reasons why I picked up this book: 1. Thought it would be a light-read. 2. It involved IIM A 3. Curiosity to know the speciality of Tamil girls 4. Heard it is a slapstick comedy [ which is not, in any way] Top reasons why I disliked it: 1. Cliched plot with stale scenes. [Ithellam nanga 'Poovellam Kettupar' la ye pathutomm, Chetan!!] 2. Making fun of South-Indians went overboard. [where Punjabis were never hurt in any dialogues, a very feeble mocking was clear] 3. Nothing less than a Bollywood drama, too filmy! 4. Totally predictable. 5. Ananya herself [there're are a multitude of reasons to hate her, which I won't enumerate here] 6. The feeling of reading his p