Skip to main content

15 Silly Stereotypes which would make you wonder!

Prejudices, typecasting, labeling are all synonymous to stereotyping. So what is a stereotype? It is a generally accepted thought or idea about a certain group of people or a thing. It can be blatantly incorrect and perhaps hurtful to the particular person. Stereotypes are the views of a small and narrow mind. Gender stereotyping is very common in India when you look at the Indian retail market, you come across advertisements which show female models for jewellery, cooking oil, hair oil, cleaning supplies etc., and male models for energy drinks, running shoes, liquor and gadgets. Does it imply that females don't need shoes or gadgets, while the male counterparts don't need cleaning and grooming? No. The retailers indiscriminately shove their brand and product on the average TV viewer through the media based on the assumed target audience.The teens and the children viewing such an advertisement develop a cognitive understanding of the stereotype, which idea is used tby them in a relevant situation. In the field of marketing, stereotyping could be perpetual in the name of reaching out to the 'target audience'. All right let's take it lightly and look at random stereotypes specific to the Indian community some funny and some not.



1. It says so on Wikipedia, so it must be true.

2. All Tamils and Malayalis are portrayed wearing dhoti and having a streak of Thiruneer on the             forehead, in most North-Indian films. And of-course speak bad hindi. (Do we all?)

3. All NRIs save lakhs and lakhs of money every month and invest them in India.[Debatable]

4. When a superhero says "Save the world", he means America. Even Vishwaroopam Kamal is not an      exception.

5. All foreigners hate spicy Indian food.(In fact, Butter chicken masala is the most tasted Indian               recipe across UK and USA).

6. Village girls have no boyfriend.(Really?)

7. Working bachelors away from home can't cook.(No. I think they discover new recipes and                    improvise very well with what's at hand.)

8. Housewives are not familiar with current affairs. ( Men please change your mind, women are better     opinionated in these matters.)

9. All Indian boys love and worship cricket. ( Not true.. my husband wouldn't recognise Yuvraj Singh      even if stands beside him.)

10. Daughters take over the household duties from their parents.(True. Domesticate your sons too.            
11. Pink is a girls' colour. Any guy wearing a shade of pink clothing is gay.(True. My husband refuses       to touch my pink handbag while I go to the restroom at a mall).

12. All moms watch TV serials like clock work.

13. You are a bad parent if you are not conservative in terms of clothes.

14. If the reviewer in the newspaper says the movie is bad, the movie is bad.[Not true, Uthama Villan        received low ratings but I liked it.]

The final one is my favourite...

15. Parent's reaction to son's girlfriend - Wow!! Is she pretty, can I see a picture of her?
      Parent's reaction to daughter's boyfriend - Shut up and be reminded of why I sent you to college.          Stop seeing him once for all.

Stereotyping is delusional so it can be fought against. Especially in children, gender labeling can cause a negative effect. Actions against such typecasting should start at home by responsible parents. We should break the common myths and open our minds to the new and fresh ideas. 

Note: My tendency to add 'feministic ideas' in every blog post is one of my idiosyncrasies. I should snap out of it hopefully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple, yet poignant lyrics (II)

I've got a knack of discovering pleasant songs, excellent movies, endearing books very late in time, sometimes even after it's fad fades away. One such song is Perunthil nee enaku... The beauty of this song is that it relates to some very simple, unnoticed but pleasing moments in a our day to day life. The duet is of two people who sing about  what they mean to each other. There are some cute imperfections in Madhushri's tamil pronunciation but the male singer makes up for all that. Duh! Why do I even have to annotate the lyrics? It speaks for itself. ;) Perunthil nee enaku jannal oram Pin vasal mutrathil ne tulasi madam Vidumurai natkalil pallikoodam Vilayattu pillaigalin chella kobam Aalilla nalliravil ketkum padal Anbe anbe neeye (hmmm....) Payanathil varugira siru thookam Paruvathil mulaikira muthal koocham Paritchaiku padikira athikalai Kazhuthinil vizhundhidum mudhal maalai Pughaipadam edukkayil thinarum punnagai Anbe anbe neethane Adai

Quote Wonderment (I)

I'm totally sick of examinations and stuff. World's worst stressors are exams. I've always had this opinion right from my childhood. Hmmm... So to get a break I was running through my old memories and thoughts. One such is the admiration for this quote, "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are." --Markus Zusak The quote itself is amazing. Reminds me of so many things. And note that Markus Zusak's wonderful book called 'The Book Thief' which was a good read. Laziness blocks me from writing more. ;)

2 States - Oh please, no!

I don't know why I chose to read '2 States' over 'The Subtle Knife'. My copy of 'Subtle Knife' is sleeping in the shelf. I wish I had finished it off instead of reading this one. M' Okay let me tell why this book was so insipid, [beware of spoilers hehe!] Possible reasons why I picked up this book: 1. Thought it would be a light-read. 2. It involved IIM A 3. Curiosity to know the speciality of Tamil girls 4. Heard it is a slapstick comedy [ which is not, in any way] Top reasons why I disliked it: 1. Cliched plot with stale scenes. [Ithellam nanga 'Poovellam Kettupar' la ye pathutomm, Chetan!!] 2. Making fun of South-Indians went overboard. [where Punjabis were never hurt in any dialogues, a very feeble mocking was clear] 3. Nothing less than a Bollywood drama, too filmy! 4. Totally predictable. 5. Ananya herself [there're are a multitude of reasons to hate her, which I won't enumerate here] 6. The feeling of reading his p